Welcome! I am jrv and I will be acting as the blog administrator.
You can contact me via this blog. If you wish I can give you instructions to add me on Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook.
You may also directly add me on Skype, where my id is juanbarros, I do not have the habit to use it often, but the few times I do I like talking. I also use Twitter, mainly to post links I find interesting and keep a log of them. Feel free to follow me there if you wish.
So as you can see I am reachable and look forward to interact with intelligent investors. The goal is to learn, make money and, above all, have fun in the process. So I hope that we all can extract a lot of useful information here. In order to do that anyone can register, by default they will be able to post messages and anyone even registered or not can post comments. I personally will use this tool in order to keep a record of my investment history, of what I bought, at what price, why, etc… I also will use it to talk about any subject that interests me. Some of the reasons I write a blog and which have proven to me to be very profitable are:
- Until you sit down and put your thoughts on paper, they are simply that, random thoughts. Writing a blog requires to think about the issues you cover and what you are saying.
- Historical record of your thinking. Handy for looking back and seeing where you got it wrong, what traps you fell into.
- Comments by readers are good for challenging your thinking and your hypothesis.
- It’s a handy mechanism for drawing together many disparate subjects and issues in one place, which can help flush out some of the issues and relationships that you might have missed.
- It helps to classify your information by date, categories and tags, before doing it I had lots of data but it was difficult to access, now I can very rapidly access information over time on any subject keeping track of my investment history. This has proven to be extremely important.
So as an example to start with, I will tell you that today I added one Google share @522.6 to my increasing collection of 4 shares , so now I have 5 Google shares, type A, non voting, for an average price of 432! Anyways, it’s almost nothing and a much smaller amount than my biggest investments (which you can follow here) but I am seriously considering to add much much more if it keeps on falling, since it is now starting to seem to be finally reasonably valued and because it is a great company, great culture, great research, amazing sales, space to grow and with lots of new seeds that can raise multi billion dollar trees ! But it is an amazing business without the new seeds anyways !
Additionally today I reduced 25 wdc shares sold @39.52 and sold one may covered call, strike 42 because I would not mind reducing more if it approaches 43 by mid may. Still holding 865 wdc shares, its still twice as much value than my second position (Berkshire Hathaway).
So once again welcome ! I hope to see Felipe, Patrice, my son Martin (who wants to learn and is still saving 3 thousand dollars in order to open a brokerage account) and many others here since I know you guys can add a lot and make this funnier !
Have fun and let’s start !
PD: To become a good investor I think the best is to start investing, so practicing it. Simultaneously you should get educated by reading, hopefully you will not make big mistakes so try to learn from the mistakes of others instead of paying high your own ones. Here is a list of my recommended books.